The Duchess of Cambridge, the wife of Prince William, gave birth to a boy at St Mary’s Hospital in west London on Monday [23 April], the third child for the royal couple.
HOW IS THE BIRTH BEING CELEBRATED?
Bells rang and guns were fired in London on Tuesday [24 April] in celebration of the birth of the royal family’s latest addition.
The bells tolled at Westminister Abbey while the Honourable Artillery Company, a reserve regiment, fired a 62-round salute from the Tower of London and Hyde Park.
The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery rode out from Wellington Barracks into Hyde Park for a 41-round salute.
WHAT HAS KENSINGTON PALACE SAID?
“Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge was safely delivered of a son at 1101hrs.
“The baby weighs 8lbs 7oz [3.8 kg].
“The Duke of Cambridge was present for the birth.
“Her Royal Highness and her child are both doing well.
“The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Harry and members of both families have been informed and are delighted with the news.”
HOW INFLUENTIAL WILL THE NEW PRINCE BE IN THE HOUSE OF WINDSOR?
The new prince is Queen Elizabeth’s sixth great-grandchild and fifth-in-line to the British throne behind siblings George, 4, his two-year-old sister Charlotte, their father William, and grandfather Prince Charles, who is heir.
A 2013 change to the law means the boy will not supplant his older sister Charlotte in the line of succession. Before that change younger males would take precedence over older female siblings.
WHAT’S HIS NAME?
The world is still waiting for an announcement from Kensington Palace.
WHEN WILL KATE LEAVE HOSPITAL?
Kate has since left the private Lindo Wing of St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington, west London. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge drove the short distance from their home at Kensington Palace to the hospital early on Monday for the birth. She spent a little over 12 hours in hospital after the birth of daughter Charlotte.
WHO HAS BEEN SENDING CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COUPLE?
- PM Theresa May: “My warmest congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the birth of their baby boy. I wish them great happiness for the future.”
- Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson: “Huge congratulations to Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the safe delivery of their baby boy today.”
- Archbishop of Canterbury: “Congratulations to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the safe delivery of their baby, a brother for Prince George and Princess Charlotte. May God bless them and all of their children with love, happiness and health.”
- Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond: “Congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the arrival of their baby boy.”
- Royal Navy: The Royal Navy sent out a picture showing crew members of the HMS Albion standing on deck at sea in a “BOY!” formation.
- Flags: Flags on government buildings fly at full mast on Tuesday, April 24 in celebration of the birth.
- With additional reports from Reuters